Thursday, June 12, 2014

Famous Bohemians series: Frida Kahlo

When I decided to create my new line of products, I first thought about people and places that inspire me and I knew I wanted to pay homage to some of the artists throughout history whom I admired. Looking back at the long line of artists, performers, and writers I realized the people I admired most possessed qualities that I wish I had more of: personal courage, tenacity, willingness to stand out in a crowd, and a desire to challenge the status quo. I've lived a pretty conventional (and some might say boring and safe) life, so sometimes I wish I could call on these qualities like a superhero calls on their superpowers--(wouldn't that be great?) The first person I thought of and decided to feature was Frida Kahlo. Below are some of my products that feature Frida, either in a group or on her own. In my perf-out postcard booklet, I actually have a short bio of each artist-Frida included. Her life deserves a much longer bio, but for purposes of the postcard format I kept it short and simple. Here's the super-short synopsis of her life:
Frida Kahlo (1907-1954) Mexican self-portrait artist who survived both polio and an almost fatal bus crash, going on to become one of the most admired female artists in history. She had a well documented and troubled relationship with Diego Rivera and although eventually married, they kept separate but adjoining homes and studios.
Click on the link here to visit the product page on my website.


I started by making Frida's portrait in wire as that's the way I "sketch"



This is the complete line including (clockwise from top left) perpetual calendar, tote bag, embossed greeting card, postcard booklet, pillow kit, tea towel, stitchable poster kit

No comments:

Post a Comment