Italian Kale and White Bean Soup
Prep Time: 25 min
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 medium celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (15-19 oz each) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth
1 medium bunch dinosaur kale (about 12 oz)
1/2 tsp salt
grated Parmesan or vegan cheese (optional)
1. In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add beans, broth and 2 3/4 cups water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, trim and discard tough stems and center ribs from kale; slice leaves crosswise.
3. Stir in kale and salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Serve with Parmesan or vegan cheese if you prefer. Makes about 8 cups or 4 main dish servings.
* Each serving: About 315 calories, 18 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated), 18 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 1180 mg sodium.
* If dinosaur kale is unavailable, use regular kale instead.
If you like this recipe or you have a favorite spring/summer time recipe of your own, please share with me!